[Gllug] Re: Abstraction, natural language and linguistics.

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 18:32:36 UTC 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Alex Hudson stipulated:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, David Freeman wrote:
>> Yes but not only do you get vocabulary you get accustomed to the rules
>> of the language re word order and use of grammer. and then distort
>> these rules but still end up with decent sentences, which is the same
>> with computer languages, just at a different level.
>
> No, it's not the same. Perl is governed by syntactic rules which are
> unbreakable - if you break them, your code does not work. If you
> understand the rules, there is no Perl you can't understand.

Why do you think that there are no unbreakable grammatical rules for
English, such that if you break them your sentence is incomprehensible?

--
`I'm not sure whether libtool is an existence proof that you _can_
 write a shell script that handles its arguments correctly, or a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk