Fw: [Gllug] Libretto

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 19:47:34 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 05:35:42PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> John Edwards wrote:
>
> > If RedHat had an installer that would load from Linux itself it would
> > be fine, or if you could upgrade packages online like Debian's
> > apt-get.
>
> So basically "if RedHat were Debian"...

No, more "if RedHat upgrade was not just a reinstall in disguise".
It makes no sense having to reboot the machine just to install files,
you should only really need to reboot to after you've changed the kernel.

I can build a floppy boot disk with the required modules to make it
work, but can't figure out how to then kick off the RedHat installer
as the whole of Redhat\base is now a bunch of .img files:
	comps
	hdlist
	hdlist2
	hdstg1.img
	hdstg2.img
	netstg1.img
	netstg2.img
	stage2.img

The RedHat-CD Howto used to be a good guide to modifying RedHat install
CD, but has been updated since RedHat version 6.1, and things look very
different.

> Seriously though, what are these things going for these days? I want
> something cheapish to use on train journeys and don't fancy doing an mjl
> and carrying a laptop complete with UPS and mains powertools :)

They used to cost about a thousand when the were released.
The prices on Ebay seem quite high, compared to newer laptops:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&pb=&ht=1&st=2&query=Toshiba+Libretto&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

I would say between 150 and 300 UKP, depending on extras they have. RAM
is the most important upgrade, 32MB is just enough for a fancy desktop like
Gnome or KDE, but if you have 16MB you're better off with fvwm or icewm.
A bigger/faster hard disk is also good, but trickier to install right.

> Besides, Martin's not quite as "well rounded" as I am :)
>
> --jcm
>
> --

|    John Edwards, Email: John_Ed at CornerstoneLinux.co.uk              |
|  "What do you mean you've never been Alpha Centauri? For heaven's   |
|   sake mankind, it's only four light years away you know."          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk