[Gllug] Buying a switch

Neil Levine levine at yoyo.org
Fri Jul 27 15:12:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 04:08:18PM +0100, home at alexhudson.com a ecrit:

> Has anyone any experience of how they compare to Catalysts and 3com's stack
> stuff? The ProCurves' figures seem to make it look like it shifts stuff
> quickly, although this isn't exactly a paramount concern here. Tolly reckon
> they go; and I've not really seen anything I disagreed with Tolly on before.

We've get a mixture of Catalyst 5500's, 2924s, 3com Superstacks and HP 8000s
and 2524's.

We stopped buying the Cisco 2924s in favour or the HP 2524s because of
the larger fabric and that they pretty much have all the feature set
that the Ciscos do such as 801.q, VLAN, etc (with a very similar CLI
too boot). Pricewise they are all much of a muchness these days but if
money is the main factor then the 3com's are still hard to beat on a
price/performance basis, although the management interface is very
limited.

Neil

Neil Levine				http://www.yoyo.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk