[Gllug] Editors

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 08:05:22 UTC 2001

* Kieran Barry (kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > > is it now? what happens if there is a good chance you will nock the
> > > government out of office? surely they can use the law enforcement
> > > forces to get all your encrypted data, not as far fetched as you may
> > > thing. Just think back to the 30's in a country not that far away!
> >
> > Conspiracy theories. Boring.
>
> You are so naive, it's amazing.

Thanks for the troll.

> Read up on the Birmingham Six. Read about the "appalling vista"
> judgement by Denning. (The suspects were covered in bruises. Prison
> officers were charged with assault. They were acquited. This meant that
> the convicted "murderers" must have been assaulted by the police. When
> proceedings got to Denning, Master of the Rolls, head of the appeal
> court, he said that it was so embarassing, he wouldn't allow the case to
> be heard. 15 or so years later, he said they should have been hanged to
> avoid the hassle. Forensic tests proved that the "confessions" were not
> records of interviews, but composed out of order by the police.)

I know all about that stuff. All this is saying is that we need to
police the police. Fine, I don't argue with that. What it has to do with
encrypted data is beyond me.

> What happens if a police officer comes in following a laptop theft. In
> the lift, you make a joke that he thinks takes the piss. He
> asks you to examine all files on all backups. (This is unreasonable, but
> in the context of the police suggesting that everyone make 7 years'
> logs available, not impossible.) Kiddie Porn is found in /usr/local. Is
> this what you want?

Do you think I'm stupid? I don't give accounts to anyone who would do
such a thing, ever.

> Have you or any of your friends ever bought illegal drugs? If you have
> nothing to hide, please make available details of every financial
> transaction over UKP1 in value for the last ten years.
>
> Do you have any pirate software on your boxes? BSA need to audit you.
> And they'd like to install daemons (which are probably insecure) to
> log which files are copied to your hard disk.
>
> Remember, anyone who objects must have something to hide...
>
> If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear...

I don't think every financial transaction over UKP1 I have made is any
use to anyone, and frankly, with loyalty cards and customer tracking
most of it's out there anyway. What the hell do I care?

Of course I don't have pirated software on my boxes. I run linux.

I'm not advocating big brother here. As I've been saying throughout this
ability to see the contents of encrypted partitions when there is
suspicion (and some body of proof) that someone has been involved in
illegal activity, because otherwise that encrypted partition lets you
literally get away with murder.

I have also said that the RIP act is slightly ambiguous and needs to be
cleaned up, but I do strongly feel that it or something like it is
required.

The idea that the police can (with a warrant) search your pockets,
search your house, run forensic tests on the boot of your car, but not
see what's on your hard disk is stupid and indefensible and that has
been my point all along. Of course, as usual, out come the total freedom
nuts and it all goes to pot =D

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |