[Gllug] MS XP

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Thu Jul 19 08:36:04 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:11:50AM +0100, Ian Baillie wrote:
> There is an article on Microsoft not embedding Java support in Windows XP www.silicon.com

Or in IE6 from what I've seen, that should be the end of the "Hit the
monkey" banners for a while, well until someone re-writes them in C# or
what ever they embed.

>One paragraph which may be of interest is:

>"We feel customers and the industry has moved on from v1.4 but we are not embedding Java as we aren't advocating it as a key driver for business. People see the value in open standards like XML. Java still remains proprietary. We don't believe Java is the platform for writing XML services."

Oh the choices! Which do i dislike more Microsoft or Java? ;)

Although i do take issue with the "We don't believe Java is the platform
for writing XML services" one of the nice things about XML Services like
SOAP and XMLRPC is that you can do them in anything.

Also on a similar note you can find a nice little article about Java that
reflects the recent language thread on GLLUG at http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/266/

	Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk