[Gllug] formatting a paragraph in vi(m)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 20:24:18 UTC 2001

On 26 Jul 2001, Stig Brautaset said:
> [*] M-q in Emacs behaves a bit like the unix facility "fmt", albeit on
>     one paragraph only. The difference is that, say you're replying to
>     an email/news message.  Because of  the prefix with wich the cited
>     original message becomes indented  (usually ">" pluss a space) the
>     lines starts  getting awfully  long, and you  want to  amend this.
>     M-q recognices the common citation prefix of the lines and formats
>     the  cited text properly.  I find  this particular  aspect utterly
>     usefull.   (If my  explanation here  makes no  sense to  you, open
>     emacs  and try  for yourselves,  or just  feel free  to completely
>     ignore me :-)

If you evaluate

(require 'filladapt)

you'll find that it can handle numbered lists and things, too.

(cc-mode has just acquired the ability to do filling in C code, too; it
fills in the comments and turns it off elsewhere automatically.)

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk