[Gllug] Databases - NOT Linux specific

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 23:25:58 UTC 2001

Matt Bunter wrote:

> All,
>
> Found out that I have to do some database training for the new job - going
> to be Oracle stuff and DB2. I have never ever done anything on Databases
> b4 - where do I start?

All the RDBMS's have a lot in common, and a bunch of things that are
specifc to them in particular. Start by learning the SQL language, and
one you have the basics down (select, insert, update, joins, nested
queries), then move on to the more DB specific stuff.

> Tempted to by SQL for Dummies or Oracle 8i for Dummies, would learning mySQL
> and/or Postgres help? Sorry haven't a clue and saw the answers to the mySQL
> and PHP thread and got scared.
>
> Would like to read something generic first then something else that is
> specific to Oracle.

The O'Reilly stuff on Oracle is good. Get the PL/SQL book, the Database
administration book, and the SQL Plus one. A lot depends on what you'll
be doing - DBA work, or development?

Oracle uses (usually) a physical layout called OFA, to split tablespaces
across disks. It's worth understanding how this is laid out, and how it
corresponds to the logical arrangement of the database.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk