[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Thu Jul 12 10:59:27 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:51:56PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 05:42:03PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:

<snip>

> > Talking of the Gray Side: anyone out there care to suggest a good book
> > for scaling the enormous learning curve for J2EE?
>
> Wrox's Professional Java Server Programming is a good introduction. Covers
> JBs, EJBs, Jini, JDNI, JDBC, etc.

I had an idle flick through this one a while ago, and it did seem like
it would be reasonably useful. EJBs are the main thing that I want to
get to grips with --- the first time I had to understand some code
based on them was an "interesting" experience --- does the Wrox book
cover them well?

> > I'm planning on using orion server as my J2EE environment because a)
> > it seems portable, b) it's 100% java (according to the blurb ;) and c)
> > it lets me use PostgresQL, which my interest is dragging me towards
>
> Also consider JRun (commercial) or the Apache stuff (Tomcat et al.) -
> getting the right JRE is the toughie though. Linux is getting pretty good at
> Java these days, it has to be said.

I had thought about using Tomcat, but the two stumbling blocks are
that (I've heard) it's a job setting the thing up in the first place,
and Orion Server comes far more highly recommended by the people that
I know who have had to use it. (take a look at www.orionserver.com and
www.orionsupport.com for more information, if you're interested) And
the Orion mailing list is useful.

Once I've got a handle on EJBs, EARs, JDNI, TLAs and more TLAs I'll go
back and struggle with the server software ;)

Cheers,

Simon

--
"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare.  I came out of it dead broke,
without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk