[Gllug] [OTish] Windows 2000 joining samba domains

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Jul 5 01:15:44 UTC 2001

Hello,

I was talking to someone this evening who was having difficulties
getting a W2K box to join a samba domain. Can I recommend:

a). Ensure that you do not currently have a *workgroup* membership of
    the same name as the domain or it *will not work* - change the
    machine's workgroup to something like "FOO" and reboot before
    re-attempting the join.

b). If you are using W2K service pack 2 be aware M$ recently blatently
    and fsckwittingly broke the RPC calls used during domain joins
    (probably to screw samba on purpose) however this is fixed in
    CVS samba. This fix wasn't quite in Debian testing last time I
    looked and I have a custom package here if anyone needs it to save
    them hassle.

Sorry this is slightly OT - just thought I'd share this since I've heard
particularly the second point cropping up a lot recently.

--jcm

P.S. Anyone heard M$'s justification for point b). yet? I had a shout
     at some random drones the other day over it but obviously got
     nowhere since I wasn't willing to give my inside leg measurement
     for their privacy invading databases.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk