[Gllug] Linux Install and RAID (ABit KT7-RAID)

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 09:21:01 UTC 2001

Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 04:18:40PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > support but not open BSD (you figure it?) the info on IDE Raid seems
> > pretty sketchy to me is this Geek SCSI snobbery?
>
> There's nothing snobbish about preferring SCSI over IDE - one's as smart
> as the other is dumb.

Totally true Bruce.

However, there is a cost difference between SCSI and IDE.
There's recently been an article on Slashdot on a 1/2 terabyte
file server, built from IDE disks.
http://staff.sdsc.edu/its/terafile/
Also I was shown another cheap 1/2 tbyte file server
at CERN, which sat under a table. They were very proud of it.

If what you require is a big, cheap storage area that might be the way
to go.
I was going to say that this was bound to be slower that SCSI,
but the RAID controller they are using claims 85MB/sec
http://www.3ware.com/products/Escalade6k.asp?Title=Product&subTitle=361&ImageNumber=2
Then again, never having even seen one of these things,
the proof of the pudding is always in the eating.

I'm sure the experts from Veritas etc. will disagree with me -
I'm interested in responses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk