Clusters was Re: [Gllug] Re: Ahh back at last

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 15:41:30 UTC 2001

--- john.hearns at framestore.co.uk wrote:
> David Irvine wrote:
>
> > Agreed, although theirs was quite cute, i think an
> > array of beowulfed laptops would have been quite
> > impressive.
> Hmmm... that might be interesting.
>
> > Can you run MOSIX/Beowulf on PDA's?
> Probably not - though I wonder if Mosix could be?
> IIRC the Mosix patches are for i386 only,
> though I could be completely wrong here.
>
> You're obviously just as cluster-obsessed as I am!

i was worse, before i moved i had a 20 node rack of
486's in my flat. It had the processing power of a
sedated hedgehog but it looked cool.

> I guess that if we are going to do a demo, at
> Linux Beer Hike maybe, or at another Linux show,
> then we need to do something different than piling
> up boxes.

Agreed, anybody can stack up a few boxen and call it a
cluster.

> The laptop idea is good - how about linking laptops
> via wireless cards? I suppose the latency in
> wireless is
> higher, so could kill any really heavy parallel
> stuff.

I like that idea, it would bring a new edge to
portable supercomputing. It would be interesting to
see what sort of effect the wireless lan would cause
on the way processes were exported.

> Or how about trying to construct a portable system
> that
> we can wheel about, or put in a rucsac for LBW?

Anybody else getting one of those tardis pc's or
something similar? They would be pretty cool to
cluster.  I think i might get one for in the car, not
sure yet... Its between a tardis or one of those in
car mp3 thingies that the debian guys had.

What kind of tasks would we set them to push them, it
would be good to compare wireless with cat5 networking
for the clusters.

Cheers

David

=====
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for human stupitity!"

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk