[Gllug] Website developement

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Sun Jul 15 20:07:24 UTC 2001

Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > I take it you are one of these guys that like flash, javascript and so
> > an as well then. I personally can't think of anything worse on a webpage.
>
> No, I hate them --- at least, I hate Flash. Javascript has its place and
> that place is a long way away from me.

good -- well, at least about the flash part. Java/javascript on the
web is even worse to my account tho.

> But the idea of using the C preprocessor to munge webpages is completely
> broken. Use a proper preprocessor, not a tokenized preprocessor that can
> only really handle C.
>
> > The preprocessor/make thing does exactly what I want, and is
> > infinately expandable.
>
> Thus speaks someone who hasn't hit cpp's countless limitations. Hell,

Not all, I'm sure, but some of them -- I still find it a convenient tool.

> you can't even reorder components of a webpage using cpp alone! (M4 can
> do that easily, with diversions.)

> Look into using M4 rather than cpp. You won't regret it.

I doubt it not, but I can't be bothered. You obviously haven't had a
look at my page and the complexity I am talking about.

It's at http://www.brautaset.org if you can be bothered to check.

Cheers, Stig
--
 21:00:24 up 22:40,  5 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.03

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk