[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:20:21 UTC 2001

 --- Bruce Richardson <brichardson at lineone.net> wrote: > On Sun, Jul
29, 2001 at 07:12:57PM +0100, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> > a) If the authorities do ask for your data, and you have done
> nothing
> > illegal, what is the problem?
>
> My problem is that it should be my choice?  Why should the
> authorities
> have the right to know anything and everything about me, not matter
> that
> I have committed no crime.

This comes in more important given the ability of the police to hold
records on us. What happens if I innocently hand over my key so they
can decrypt my data, one file of which details my sexual fantasies, and
they see this and record it in my record. What happens when the stupid
populus votes in a power much like the germans did in 1933 they goto
the records find that I am in breach of what they feel acceptable and
have me sent to a concentration camp. Its not as far fetched as you may
think!

And no I don't have such a file.

> You have the question the wrong way round.  If I have done nothing
> illegal, why are they asking for my data?  What is their problem?

exactly.

> You can tatto your date of birth, sexual preferences etc on your
> forehead if it makes you happy.  If I choose to keep these things to
> myself, I shouldn't be forced arbitrarily to reveal them.
>

> > b) I would rather live in a country where the authorites can look
> at my
> > data if the _suspect I have partaken in illegal activities_, if it
> means
> > that child pornographers and terrorists (the people who really
> benefit
> > from tools such as stegfs) are more easily caught and prosecuted.
>
> There's not the slightest evidence that RIP will help against crime,
> any
> more than the "Prevention of Terrorism Act" ever prevented an act of
> terrorism.  Besides, the whole point is that you don't need to be a
> suspect of anything.  If you possess encrypted data then not handing
> it
> over at the authorities request is a crime in itself.  The mere
> existence of the data itself constitutes grounds for action, should
> the
> authorities so choose.

Yup, just like outlawing hand guns has led to an increase in gun crime!

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk