[Gllug] Editors

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sun Jul 29 22:08:45 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 07:12:57PM +0100, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> a) If the authorities do ask for your data, and you have done nothing
> illegal, what is the problem?

My problem is that it should be my choice?  Why should the authorities
have the right to know anything and everything about me, not matter that
I have committed no crime.

You have the question the wrong way round.  If I have done nothing
illegal, why are they asking for my data?  What is their problem?

You can tatto your date of birth, sexual preferences etc on your
forehead if it makes you happy.  If I choose to keep these things to
myself, I shouldn't be forced arbitrarily to reveal them.

> b) I would rather live in a country where the authorites can look at my
> data if the _suspect I have partaken in illegal activities_, if it means
> that child pornographers and terrorists (the people who really benefit
> from tools such as stegfs) are more easily caught and prosecuted.

There's not the slightest evidence that RIP will help against crime, any
more than the "Prevention of Terrorism Act" ever prevented an act of
terrorism.  Besides, the whole point is that you don't need to be a
suspect of anything.  If you possess encrypted data then not handing it
over at the authorities request is a crime in itself.  The mere
existence of the data itself constitutes grounds for action, should the
authorities so choose.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.