[Gllug] Building Intranet Kiosks

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Thu Jul 12 09:32:21 UTC 2001

At 10:02 12/07/2001 +0100, John wrote:
>Jim Cheetham wrote:
> > I'd be interested if anyone has any insights about how to handle
> > customisation of the windows data (i.e. networking details, host names,
> etc)
>
>Errrr... use DHCP. OR am I missing something vital here?

Well, I wasn't aware that windows DHCP client would set the windows
networking hostnames, and so on. Perhaps it does.
Also, I dislike using DHCP for static machines. I like to *know* what the
IP address of a machine is/should be in advance. Yes, I could use DHCP as
BOOTP, and tie the config down to the MAC address (and these machines have
the network card integrated onto the motherboard, so I wouldn't encounter
the problem of changing cards=changing MACS) but that just doesn't work for me.
Static machines should be able to get their network operational on their
own - in this environment, the server being unavailable shouldn't stop the
machines from getting onto the Internet for browsing etc (although I know
I'll have a NAT issue ... but I can probably cope with that another way)

Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim
Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk