[Gllug] KDE or Gnome

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Wed Jul 11 12:30:56 UTC 2001

On 7/11/01, 10:21:11 AM, Jim Bailey <jim at lateral.net> wrote regarding
Re: [Gllug] KDE or Gnome:

> I know how you feel but it has the coolest xterms, you can open up
> additional windows inside the initial window excellent for displaying
> multiple man or info pages

You should try PWM.  It allows you to bind multiple instances of any X
app to the same frame - so if you run a second instance of said app,
it simply adds a new tab to the frame.  This is useful with xterm but
madly useful with Netscape or Mozilla - middle-clicking on links
doesn't litter your screen with extra windows.

Http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/

pwm is also extremely lightweight - but then it doesn't do docks,
backgrounds etc - you are expected to set that up yourself.

> Has anyone tried Windowmaker It has a really
> nice feel to its use and I really like the way you can lock or dock
> parts of the apps. menu on the desk top very useful for some tasks.
Does
> anyone know if it is possible to port KDE 2's xterm to Windowmaker?

Windowmaker is lovely, yes.  Kterm will run under any Windowmanager so
log as you have the core KDE libs installed - you don't need to run
KDE to run most K apps.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk