[Gllug] basic rpm problem.

Vincent AE Scott vince at codex.net
Tue Jul 3 22:41:11 UTC 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, A James Lewis wrote:

> > > How about Slackware's superior package management implementation? :-)
> >

> > tar?
> > yeah, wicked.
> >

> Actually Slackware's package management might use tar to store the files
> but it ISN'T just tar, you can install and remove packages, and it even
> tracks files owned by multiple packages so it doesn't delete shared
> files...

hmm, smells like tar, sounds like tar, even sounds like tar.

> Not only that but it has pre/post install scripts etc stored in the tar
> file....
>
> Yet you can untar it into a directory and you don't keep getting errors
> about what version of the package you're using like I do on RH.

i'm assuming you mean RPM based installs?  there *is* more to linux than
just redhat.

yep, that is an upside, it is extremely usefull to be able to quickly, and
easily extract the contents of a 'package' [1]. FWIR RPM's contain cpio'd
archives, and no matter how long i've been using *nix, i refuse to learn
cpio, let alone grace the man pages with my attention.  and yes, i know
*.deb's contain tar files.

whoop whoop *.pkg's know about dependencies, i wouldnt expect anything
less from a package mgmt system.

the more a system matures, the more complex it gets.  standards are good,
but choice is even better.  if you wish to use *.pkg's, then good on you,
to me they're all just a collection of stuff, that gets put somewhere,
with a modicum of intelligence built in.

[1] a collection of binaries and or cofig scripts, plus inter package
dependencies + mgmt info.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk