[Gllug] simputer

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 08:24:42 UTC 2001

List,

Firstly I should introduce my self.

My name is David Freeman and I met some of you last week at linux expo
and then in the bar after woulds (I was the one with the cuddly
penguin)

Any way to reply to this.

 --- Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.org> wrote: >

> Nokia Communicator 9110/9210 is a very nice single unit, decent
> screen/keyboard/dev. environment and https, but it doesn't have
> 802.11b,
> just GSM dialup. So unless you have a deal with, say, Dolphin
> Telecom, then
> your phone bills will be high. OTOH you don't have to provide the
> network
> infrastructure yourself ... but you may hit problems with dead zones
> in
> your buildings.
> You'd still have the problem of powered transmitters near to medical
> electronic equipment, though, no matter what you do :-(

There are a number of companies which are looking to implement "bedside
services" for hosptals, most evolve round touch screen devices on
movable arms which swing over the bed. Touch screens are best as
research has shown that even older people can use them as well as young
children. To connect these devices on the web the three main systems
being tested are cat 5 - boring - 802.11b - IMHO best option -
bluetooth- ARRRGGG. Some hospitals have Cat five installed for some
systems so this could work but if not the installation costs are
prohibitive. Bluetooth, I wont even entertain this idea ATM as it isn't
reaaly a well tried and tested technology nor is it good on range. This
leaves 802.11b with speeds of upto 11Mbps it would provide good
connectiveity at a sensible speed which would allow for the user to not
be fixed in one place, the costs are actually on a par with wired
installations (facter in all the trunking etc for cables...) The one
issue people seam concerned about is the microwave signals in a
hospital, well 802.11b works on the ISM band which is Industrial,
Scientific, and medical, so hosptal kit already use this band to
communicate, and also your normal micrwave works in the same band so
its not a problem.

SO people are working on it and the technolgie is there, and if we
could get the apple webpads, well we would be sorted!

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk