[Gllug] kill -9 does not work

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Wed Jun 27 11:21:10 UTC 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Jake Jellinek wrote:

>> What? Until recently, Linux was *appalling* at dealing with OOM
>> problems; it still has a poor VM, especially in 2.4. (Thankfully, this
>> is being fixed; and VMs *are* a complete bastard to get right...)
>
>I guess I was being kind to Linux. It does depend which OS you compare it
>too I suppose ;-)

About the only OS which has worse MM in use is Win9x, and perhaps NT. BSD
(both Mach and UVM based) and SVR4 are streets ahead in MM stakes. I hope
that 2.5 will be the time that Linux has the whole MM guts ripped out and
replaced.

The kernel developers could do much worse than to look at the UVM system
used in NetBSD and OpenBSD.

Might be an interesting topic for a Gllug talk. Would that go down well?

--
    /"\
    / \

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk