[Gllug] Re: LILO boot problem

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Wed Jun 27 12:06:03 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 12:36:55PM +0000, rdrinkwater wrote:
> > If by init you mean you ran 'init 0', that's not necessarily a normal
> > closedown :)
>
> Agreed, but normal to us for what we were doing.  Incidentally, how else
> would you close down?

Either 'halt' or 'shutdown -h now' - init 0 is little more than organised
suicide.

> The one thing we didn't try was c0d0!!  We have now done so and all is
> ok.

:) Good for you.

> Never having used grub what are the pros and cons and why "bite the
> bullet", after all "if you know a better fox-hole etc..."

Pros: it can read filesystems (i.e., once you've installed it, you don't
need to do so ever again...), so you can say things like
(hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz, instead of pointing it at the diskblocks.

Con 1: I found the documentation somewhat sparse.
Con 2: The previous sentance is an understatement..

> eth0: timeout waiting for TxRDC
> Hw. address read/write mismap 1
> Hw. address read/write mismap 3

DMA problem. Are you passing the ethernet card the correct DMA parameters,
or expecting it to find them? I presume from this you're using the ne/ne2k
8390 driver? I know there is a kernel bugfix in that neck of the woods, but
I don't know if that's related to what you're seeing - might be worth
compiling the driver with -DNE8390_RW_BUGFIX to see if that does anything.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk