[Gllug] Lindows

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 20:26:41 UTC 2001

David Damerell wrote:

> On Wednesday, 21 Nov 2001, Ian Northeast wrote:
> >Interestingly the latest range of servers Sun are producing appear to
> >have the same facility and are being marketed as "mainframes". Plus ca
> >change and all that.
>
> Only they don't, unless things have changed dramatically.

Fair enough, I just saw an overview of the things. Clearly they have
some way to go before they become "real" mainframes.

> An S/390 can
> have an arbitary number of guest OSes on (Telia have something like
> 4,000 GNU/Linux installations on one)

But that will be using VM. I'm not sure what the limit on LPARs is these
days (I think it was 16 back when I was last seriously involved in
mainframes about 5 years ago) but I am sure that you can't run 4000. But
4000 virtual machines under VM is no problem.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk