[Gllug] Office software

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Thu Nov 15 21:00:05 UTC 2001

> gnumeric, abiword = both great but lack graphs and tables respectively

Ted seems to be a good bet for basic word processor
http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/
Ted is a text editor running under X Windows on Unix/Linux systems. Ted
was developed as an operating system accessory like Wordpad on
MS-Windows. In our opinion, the possibility to type a letter or a note
on a Unix/Linux machine is clearly missing. Only too often, you have to
turn to a Windows machine to write a letter or an e-mail message. Teds
function is to be able to edit rich text documents on Unix/Linux in a
wysiwyg way. Ted uses Microsoft RTF as its native file format.

Have had a quick play with it and it seems very good, it supports tables
which is what I'm waiting for Abiword to do. I think this is what I will
be using on my laptop when I set it up.  I don't think StartOffice will
run very well on a P133, I find staroffice too slow on a P400 just to do
quick documents to share with doz people.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk