[Gllug] thin desktops for X-> was Office software

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 16 12:45:35 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:32:23AM -0000, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> > I used fvwm2 (rather than the gnome enviroment) but was
> > bumping along at 120Mb memory usage - slow.
>
> Seeing fvm2 mentioned makes me ask what is the best (read
> fastest/functional) window manager for X when running a low resource
> machine?  I going to be setting up a P133/144MB laptop to take home with
> me, I think gnome will be too slow and I don't really need all the
> extras that come with it.  Have played with sawfish (was sawmill) and
> really like it's minimal screen and multiple work spaces.

Again, let me plug PWM and Ion, both exceedingly light and fast.  PWM is
a conventional wm with no fluff (and a nice feature of binding multiple
instances of a program to one frame), Ion is a departure:
non-overlapping, tileable resizeable windows.  I live in it.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/
http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/

--
Bruce

The most interesting thing about King Charles the First is that he was
five foot six inches tall at the start of his reign but only four foot
eight inches tall at the end of it. -- Monty Python