[Gllug] iptables - a quick question

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 16:56:28 UTC 2001

I have installed iptables!  Yay!

Basically I wanted to firewall port 6000 and after much faffing, i have
the following two rules (don't ask me why there are two):

DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:x11
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:x11
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN

I am guessing one is redundant, but which one?  as in, which one blocks
incoming connections most comprehensively to port 6000?

Also, when I nmap the machine the port shows up as being filtered.  Is
this secure or can people still somehow open up a connection to the port?

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk