[Gllug] Gates, self proclaimed father of open-source

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 12:52:45 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-09 at 13:40, Simon Stewart wrote:

> > > By extension:
> > >
> > > Obi Wan Kenobi == RMS
> > > Darth Vader    == Billy Gates
> > I think here you may want to consider that in the last episode Darth
> > Vader was shown to have some good in him - I am not sure that this is
> > entirely appropriate ;-)
>
> Don't forget that BG does a lot of work for chariddy. He just doesn't
> like to talk about it....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

I know that many of the millions of pounds that he donates are tax
write-offs.

He donated a figure in excess of 20 million to libraries in the US.
What he actually donated was Windows licences, not cash.  This I do not
see as a gift - just reinforcing his monopoly.  It was just the spin
that was put on it.

I would not be surprised if other sponsorships were similar.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk