[Gllug] Do not be frightened VERY OFF TOPIC

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 22:01:39 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Harry Jackson spake:
> I agree with all of the above but the kick start for the racing turkey
> snapped just before the race and we needed the Mechatronic Engramatic
> Interpreter to get the photon particle analyser working at 105%. This is
> before we found that the Quark fusion reactor was a bit warm and we needed
> to jury-rig the blackhole containment intake to draw some of the heat away
> from it. Then after we got the whole thing humming like a camel the driver
> says that he's got a stomach bug and I quote "I ain't racin".

ROFL! *clapclapclap*

> For all people new to Linux etc please do not let any of the above scare
> you.

It's just jargon and embitterment speaking. 90% jargon, 10% embitterment
in the post you responded to, I think.

>      There are a few very scary people on the list

(Gosh, maybe this BOFH-filter is working. It said on the packet `filters
out 100% of all known fluffy-bunny rays; you will seem scary and
dangerous online, no matter how shy and retiring you are in reality.')

>                                                    and when they go off on
> one its like Clingon "rough, hard to understand, and only a select few speak
> it".

Now, now. I'd hope it's `sophisticated, complex, and only a select few
speak it.' (After all,

- I am a brilliant sophisticate
- You are a well-educated culturnik
- He is an arrogant stuck-up prig

... ;) )

There are not really any rough characters on the GCC list; we've learnt
that clashes of personality can be seriously to the project, so we try
to avoid being nasty to each other on the list :)

... OK, perhaps that's a lie. There aren't *many* rough characters.

... OK, perhaps that's a lie...

>      If you are like me then you will look at the above and it might as well
> be the Matrix screen saver as English.

I see a great need to sigquote that.

(But, hey, I was invited to run off at the mouth, so I did.)

I guess most people probably see compiler and toolchain (assembler,
linker) hacking as being about as comprehensible as the Matrix screen
saver --- and about as interesting to watch for a long time :)

> So do not feel disheartened
> or scared to make a post
> You wont truly be on the list
> till flamed like a slice of toast.

Does it count if someone from your own site does the flaming?

(I think Kieran's incinerated me a couple of times to date. Can't
recall.)

--
`Many people have tried whispering in his ear, and indeed bellowing
 with megaphones but up to now he's seemed to be completely

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk