[Gllug] Hypothetical GPL question

Steve Goodwin SteveG at bitscorp.com
Thu Nov 1 10:56:15 UTC 2001

> What if you deliberately wanted to be awkward ;), had a good memory of

Oh, I like being awkward :) [This comment is Dean-bait!]

> the hex representation of machine code (or could refer to a book), and
> wrote a small program directly into the hex editor? In that
> case the hex
> editor *would* be the preferred method for making
> modifications, because
> the whole point of the exercise would be to be intentionally
> obstreporous (is this the right word?) in writing a program that comes
> as close as possible to the boundary condition of the GPL without
> actually crossing it.

One step further...what if the intention was to write a program to help
people touch type. The program is written in such a way (using variables
like 'quickbrownfox' and 'lazydog', and functions 'jumpedover' :) that
itself is a touch typing test. Therefore, no computer stored version
_should_ be made available, making the GPL 'preferred method' being a piece
of paper with the hand written program code. (or perhaps a GIF scan would be
acceptable)

> Of course, you couldn't write a very big program this way
> (understatement) and it wouldn't be very useful, really just an
> intellectual oddity. But I still claim you could have a GPL program
> where the binary *is* the source code.

Is this a good point to mention my mandelbrot generator? The prefered method
for editting is the source code formatted into a mandelbrot. Changing the
code breaks the layout, meaning you have to re-fix the layout to achieve the
programs intention - a mandelbrot that produces a mandelbrot.

Steev

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it by
anyone else is unauthorised. Please immediately notify the sender if you are
not the intended recipient and have received this mail.
necessarily represent those of Bits Corp plc or any of its affiliates.

Bits Corp plc
112 Cricklewood Lane
London NW2 2DP
Tel. +44 (0)20 8282 7200