[Gllug] converting Konqueror bookmarks to Mozilla

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Nov 12 11:30:20 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On 11/12/01, 10:19:45 AM, Richard Cohen <richard at vmlinuz.org> wrote
> regarding Re: [Gllug] converting Konqueror bookmarks to Mozilla :
>

> > More so - I'm amazed that I can't store my bookmarks on a server
> > somewhere (run by me or otherwise - my ISP, say), so I can get to them
> > for anybrowser, *anywhere*.
>
> There are a bunch of apps on freshmeat that do that.  There's also a gtk
> application which will accept bookmarks that are dropped onto it by any
> GUI browser and so provide a single store (it will launch the browser of
> choice when you click on a bookmark).  But I can't remember its name:-(

Sorry - I missed something out of my original point - John H was the only
one who understood what I *meant* to write (good work on the DWIMNWIW there,
John :-).

I want my *browser* to pull bookmarks from a server somewhere, not an
external program, not a CGI, not a sidebar (although that's pretty close).
I want my bookmark dropdown menu in my browser to reflect something on a
server somewhere, so, for example, when I add a new bookmark, what I'm
actually doing is some kind of PUT to a server.  This would also open up the
possibility of things like shared bookmarks, say between project members or
within a company.  And I want it to be only my bookmarks, not my whole
browser preferences, and I want it *live*, so I think the Netscape roaming
is out - is that open and simple, and in non-Netscape browsers, anyway?

The closest I've seen is something I used a couple of years back, which was
a .com (and therefore, I assume, long gone - I can't even remember what it's
called), which used a nice snippet of Javascript to get the "add a bookmark"
thing as a button on your 'personal toolbar'.  Hang on - ah, the joy of
hating deleting anything, I still have bits of my old SCO home directory
around, complete with my Netscape bookmarks.  It was called backflip.com,
and it's still there.  One other cute thing it did (with some sucess) was
try to guess a category for the bookmark, based on (I think) the contents of
the URL and possibly the page contents - impressive when it worked.

The other thing I'm thinking of is Pine being able to store it's address
book on an IMAP server, so you get your mail and address book in the same
place.  I don't actually use that with Pine - although maybe I should -
since I tend to only access work mail at work, and home mail by logging into
the box where the mail spool lives...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk