[Gllug] samba printers

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Nov 12 17:29:30 UTC 2001

>Is it possible to host a networked printer on a Linux box? We have a
>massive HP4100DLK or something with its own ethernet port. I'd rather not
>hook it up to the par port. Looking thru howto/faqs this seems like a
>no-go.
>
>If not then I'll just leave it hosted on the Windows box :-/

Your quesiton doesn't make sense. If it's a networked printer, then by
definition, it's not hosted on any box. Just plug it in, set the IP
address and go (most come with a build in Unix and SMB print daemons).

If it's hosted on a box, then it'll usually be connected via the parallel
port, and the hosting box will handle the queueing/spooling.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk