[Gllug] Broad Band Access

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 16:27:49 UTC 2001

Hi guys,

Living out in the sticks, there isnt much in the way of internet access,
If  you beg bt for long enough, you  can sometimes get an ISDN link  for
a cost, and as for Atlantic, NTL etc they don't have any plans to come
anywhere near this area in the forseable future so heres my plan:

I want to get a very fast connection into my  house, via satalite or
leased line and share it out among the surrounding area. This is  easy
todo  because i live right at the top of a very  steep  hill, as a
result I have direct line of sight  to just  about anywhere useful in
this case, so i would like to use wireless networking to distribute the
connection.  I have a few questions about this however.

1.  What is the law  about using wireless lan cards commercially.
2.  What happens if somebody else starts using wireless lan in their
home etc, do they start screwing up  our network?
3.  I planned to use a bridge based on mac address to stop 3rd parties
using the service.
5.   Where can i get a link to  the rest of the world to my house now?
I  need one with a few number of IP Addresses routed down it and as
little hassle as possible.

Any ideas?  Cost wise i would  like the service to pay  for itself so
i'm figuring about 30 quid a month  per punter, say 5 punters, each
stumping up the cost or part thereof for a directional antennae and
card/base station  etc.

TIA

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk