[Gllug] Thorny question

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 09:27:09 UTC 2001

itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On 11/9/01, 12:47:21 PM, Xander D Harkness <xander at harkness.co.uk> wrote
> regarding [Gllug] Thorny question:
>
> > It may persuade them to move more services to Linux (they already have
> > some servers).
>
> Heh, is that not your actual motivation?  My employers are honest about
> licenses and I don't miss many opportunities to make comparisions: "Look:
> server with Linux, £2500; server with Win2K, £7000".

Indeed. Cost is a compelling argument for Linux, but makes no impact if
all the companies copies of Windows are pirated.

I disagree wih Microsoft's business practices, but I support their right
to charge whatever they want for their software. I'd be tempted to go to
the boss and point out the BSA's "shop a friend" policy, and argue that
their attitude is setting them up for a fall. You could offer to replace
the boxes with Linux, legalizing them for no cost other than time
investment. If you're feeling evil, report them and wait for the panic
to begin...

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk