[Gllug] (no subject)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Nov 14 08:24:30 UTC 2001

>I'm getting a stray > directly before lines begining with
>From in the text body of emails I receive.  Presuamably this is a hack to
>help some program tell where emails begin in mbox mail files.  Still, it's
>breaking my PGP signatures.  I've tried to simulate one here.  At time
>of sending, the second linehas no > character in it at all.

formail(1) says:

	Any header lines immediately following the leading `From ' line
	that start with `>From ' are considered to be a continuation
	of the `From ' line. If instructed to rename the `From ' line,
	formail will change each leading `>' into a space, thereby
	transforming those lines into normal RFC822 continuations.

I guess your mail is going through something that escapes 'From ' lines
in the above manner, but incorrectly does it for the body of the message,
not just the header.

If formail can't correct it by itself (and I haven't bothered to check),
then you can always call sed from procmail to do it for you.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk