[Gllug] Email Formats was Where has the modem gone

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 22 11:13:47 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 21 Nov 2001, Jim Bailey wrote:
>On certain levels HTML is for emails but not on a technical discussion
>lists.  We design and send out tens of thousands of emails a week on
>behalf of our clients to their customers.  both of which would be
>extremely upset to if we used plain text over HTML, Javascript, Flash and
>Shockwave.

Who are these customers who don't just want to know some facts?

>aimed at balding 30 something sys admins running to fat but 16-24 year old
>fashion victims who badly need the feeling of superiority that comes with
>the latest style.

And someone thinks nuclear Web design attracts these people. They
_really_ need to read Jakob Nielsen... or consider that only the
subset of them with broadband can even possibly be attracted to
overdesigned pages.

>It is entirely phenomenological but I actually find some geek sites
>cluttered, ugly and initialy confusing, Slashdot is one and the PHP nuke
>home page another.

Geeks are not immune to overdesign, alas.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk