[Gllug] ASP on Linux

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 28 16:41:19 UTC 2001

You could hand him ActiveState Perl (or better; get him to buy it as a part
of the M$ SFU - Services For Unix - pack). Then put the PERL extensions into
an IIS web server and Apache::ASP and mod_perl into your Apache web server.
You could benchmark them back-to-back and see how they go. If you do, be
sure to let us (or at least me) know the results.

If your developer (or anyone else for that matter) makes rude comments about
unwieldy/slow/unreadable code then you may reply that you can write
unreadable code in any language, but it's only in PERL that can you write
poetry (and compile it) ;)

Further - there's an article at perl.com about eToys and their (now
bankrupt) set-up (http://perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/17/etoys.html) using Apache
and mod_perl. Quite a good read for anyone interested in serious web apps
(in any environment). Actually tell your developer to look at the article; I
doubt that they wouldn't learn a thing or two about web apps.

Richard
(recovering PERL coder)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk