[Gllug] Thorny question

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 13:07:34 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Xander D Harkness" <xander at harkness.co.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 12:47 PM
Subject: [Gllug] Thorny question

>If you knew that the company that you work for has in excess of 35
>servers running unlicenced copies of Windows would you report them?

Personally, no.  Unless I was leaving and really didn't like the company
badly.

>Cost of server licences = 35 x 1000 = 35,000
>Cost of authentication = 200 x 50  = 10,000
>     Total  = 45,000

>I do not like to provide another penny to the criminal corporation.

Part of the reason that I wouldn't

>If someone is willing to ignore that a company openly acts in a criminal
>manner and continues to support that company then they should fully pay
>the price for that.  All licence fees should be paid fully.
>
>The company are in breach of licences.
>
>It may persuade them to move more services to Linux (they already have
>some servers).

Personally I would put a case forward for moving to linux.  Pointing out the
amount of money they would have to cough up if they didn't and the
information 'got out' that they were not paying licence fees.  Possibly
setting up sme sort of demo showing how well a linux based system
works/integrates.  Things I would mention would be price, security,
reliability and expandability and I would definatly not go off on one about
evil Darth Gates and the Microstar.

It couldn't hurt too much if you also pointed out that the they would have
to pay shed loads for licences for servers that are full of security holes
so much so that they all have Nimda (may require BOFH style work to make
this happen).

Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk