[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 09:47:22 UTC 2001

> I once read a statistic that there is one IPv6 address for
> every atom on
> the surface of the earth. But only some of the IPv6 addresses
> are assigned
> for general use and of these ones there is only one for every
> square meter
> of land on the surface of the Earth.

there should be 256^4 = 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 normal IP addresses
and 256^6 = 2^48 = 281,474,976,710,656 IPv6 addresses

(including broadcast addresses etc.)

I think there are 6 billion humans approx. (6,000,000,000)
( check out http://opr.princeton.edu/popclock/ )

thus there should be 281,474,976,710,656 / 6,000,000,000 ~ 47,000 IPs
per person.

If both the numnber of humans and the number of computer per person is
increasing, this could I suppose cause future problems, but only for a
scenario where we have an interplanetary network - perhaps not likely
given the way things are going.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk