[Gllug] Gates, self proclaimed father of open-source

ae ae at anthonye.plus.com
Fri Nov 9 09:24:53 UTC 2001

Don't know if anyone has read this yet but it's amusing to say the least.
What worries me is that he may even genuinly believe the rubbish he comes
out with.

>From SeattleTimes: "Gates said there's a role for free software alongside
commercial software, but the open-source movement taken to its extreme would
mean no software jobs or taxes paid by software companies, and it would mean
companies such as Microsoft would not risk investing in advanced products.
Gates also took some credit for the genesis of open-source software. He said
Microsoft made it possible by standardizing computers: "Really, the reason
you see open source there at all is because we came in and said there should
be a platform that's identical with millions and millions of machines," he
said."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134363780_microsoft
08.html

Anthony.