[Gllug] scp whole drive with out copying /proc/kcore?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Thu Nov 1 16:06:05 UTC 2001

> yes, if done in the right way.  to backup the raw database
> files, i'd say you need to stop the database, a complete shutdown.

Don't want to have to shut it down since it's on a website, I would
ideally like to sync it with a spare server I have here that we will use
for development.  Then if the main one goes down we can point people to
the spare and start the required services with out too much down time
while we fix the broken one.

> the other option, is to dump out all the tables and
> descriptions to a text file, and then back that up.  has the
> advantage that you can leave the DB running,a dn do it all online.

I really need to get to grips with bash/perl/python (one of anyway) to
automate this don't I.  I think you need to do a flush before you do the
dump. (no comments to bring this down to gutter level please:)

> once you have a copy of the 'data' whih ever method you opt
> for, then rsync will also be fine.  rsync is cool, IIRC you
> can run it over an ssh session if security is a concern.

Yeah see that, have been reading about it looks nice, one of those
things that has been on the list to do, server failure has moved it up
the priority list.

thanks again for the help.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk