[Gllug] Office software

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 09:44:58 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:18:14AM -0000, Jake Jellinek wrote:
> I'm playing around with the latest version of OpenOffice and it seems
> pretty good to me. Doesn't need java as far as I can see like Star Office
> did, and doesn't have the annoying "everything enclosed in a take over your
> desktop window" anymore. Under Mandrake 8.1 (not that I've tried with other
> distributions yet) I was easily able to import loads of TTF fonts which
> print out well also, and I've imported quite complex word2000 documents and
> spreadsheets with no apparent loss of formatting, even when printed (CUPS).

I have been playing with OpenOffice. Installed it as root, run initial test
(as root), all OK. Run it as a normal user, lots of probs (like core dumping
when you type a space at the end of the first word).

Lots of digging: find that if you give the installer the (undocumented) '-net'
option it is supposed to work. I try that & on startup it complains about a missing
file: check the mail list archive and lots of people ask where to get the file from,
but no reply :-(

I get the feeling (having previously played with StarOffice) that it has been
ported to *nix with little understanding of the nature of *nix systems
(ie multi user), it is still a big application - ie need a m/c with lots of RAM
to run it on.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>