[Gllug] Do not be frightened VERY OFF TOPIC

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Wed Nov 21 12:44:42 UTC 2001

I am glad you laughed but I was writing it in all seriousness to emphasise a
point (I am very serious you know ;-))

> > For all people new to Linux etc please do not let any of
> the above scare
> > you.
>

> >                                                    and when
> they go off on
> > one its like Clingon "rough, hard to understand, and only a
> select few speak
> > it".
>
> Now, now. I'd hope it's `sophisticated, complex, and only a select few
> speak it.' (After all,

> There are not really any rough characters on the GCC list;
> we've learnt
> that clashes of personality can be seriously to the project, so we try
> to avoid being nasty to each other on the list :)

What I meant here was that its Guttural (Guttural because we cannot speak
it) not rough as in argument or slinging match although I have seen a few
good ones.

> ... OK, perhaps that's a lie. There aren't *many* rough characters.
>
> ... OK, perhaps that's a lie...

I would say that there are plenty of rough characters/diamonds on the list.

> >      If you are like me then you will look at the above and
> it might as well
> > be the Matrix screen saver as English.
>
> I see a great need to sigquote that.

Please do I have always wanted to see my name in flashing lights or even
better the Oxford Quotation of dictionary's.

> (But, hey, I was invited to run off at the mouth, so I did.)

And if I could speak Clingon/C, I would have gained enough finger momentum
to stimulate the Vestal virgins to a frolicking frenzy before raping the
keyboard like a blow up doll in an 18th century Monastery. Some people call
this compiler/linker envy, commonly known amongst automobile fanatics as
penis envy.

> I guess most people probably see compiler and toolchain (assembler,
> linker) hacking as being about as comprehensible as the Matrix screen
> saver --- and about as interesting to watch for a long time :)
>
> > So do not feel disheartened
> > or scared to make a post
> > You wont truly be on the list
> > till flamed like a slice of toast.
>
> Does it count if someone from your own site does the flaming?
>
> (I think Kieran's incinerated me a couple of times to date. Can't
> recall.)

I also think you have been daft enough to let the blow torch flare in your
own face a few times by criticising your own posts in the past. What is this
called in the mailing lists, its flaming but not as we know it. Can we call
it Kamikaze flaming. If  someone suffers from gas can we also suffer from
bouts of Kamikaze flame which in all rights is a good trait to have. Note
there is a distinction between someone suffering from flame and someone
suffering from Kamikaze flame. You do not want to have severe flame without
sometimes getting a touch of Kamikaze flame.

Regards,
Harry

Having read the above
"If you are like me, you will look at the above and it might as well be the
Matrix screen saver as English."
Me

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk