[Gllug] converting Konqueror bookmarks to Mozilla

Steve Cobrin cobrin at highbury.net
Mon Nov 12 12:18:29 UTC 2001

On Sunday 11 Nov 2001 23:12, you wrote:
> Ok, I'm lazy and have only been looking around for 30 mins, but...
>
> How do I convert Konqueror's bookmarks.xml to Mozilla/Netscape's
> bookmarks.html.
>
> Also does anybody know of any decent bookmarks editor, as I've a very large
> set of bookmarks > 5,000 to sort through

The answer is that I wasn't patient enough! Konqueror has an "export to
Mozilla" function, which took 10 minutes to run, and I had to shut down and
restart Mozilla. Konqueror behaves itself, and backs up the old mozilla
bookmark file to a "bookmarks.html.beforekde" file. However starting Mozilla
seems to take ages now approx 5 mins and uses 87Mb of memory :-/

I guess my bookmark file needs a real tidy! I'm using a combination of
Columbine Bookmark merge (a windows utility) and a perl script
(sort-netscape-bookmarks.pl) to sort and remove duplicates, the rest is down
to me just laboriously categroising and sorting.

I think some form of disassociation between the bookmarks and the browser is
even more essential now. LDAP may be the way to go. Konqueror moving to
storing the data in XML format is probably a good thing, as it will make this
separation easier to achieve.

  -- Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk