[Gllug] Thorny question

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Nov 9 15:35:53 UTC 2001

David Damerell(damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk)@Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 02:17:07PM +0000:
> On Friday, 9 Nov 2001, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> >On 11/9/01, 12:47:21 PM, Xander D Harkness <xander at harkness.co.uk> wrote
> >regarding [Gllug] Thorny question:
> >> It may persuade them to move more services to Linux (they already have
> >> some servers).
> >Heh, is that not your actual motivation?  My employers are honest about
> >licenses and I don't miss many opportunities to make comparisions: "Look:
> >server with Linux, £2500; server with Win2K, £7000".
>
> It's amusing how the activities of FAST and the BSA actually serve to
> drive people towards free software...

yes, isnt it amazing how the 'system' we have in place causes this?  The
more people try to control things, the more they have todo to maintain
it.  Surely the obvious answer is to go for the sane and rational
approach and not have everyone turning into a money grabbing self
obsessed individuals?

sorry to rant on, but it does seem that the laws that we have in place
keep comming back to haunt us more and more.  to me it seems like the
obvious conclusion is, *eventually* everyone will see the benefits of
open source software and switch over to it.  But the powerfull interests
of a few very elite organisations keep changing the landscape when they
see their model failing, and hence imposing even more dumber rules and
regulations.

i kid you not, when i believe it wont be long before Microsoft (et al)
try and impose direct taxations on anyone with a computer, because it'll
be the only way the can collect revenue.

grrrr.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk