[Gllug] services

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 18:54:46 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 06:29:43PM +0000, will wrote:
> itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
>
> > On 11/22/01, 5:29:59 PM, will <will at hellacool.co.uk> wrote regarding
> > [Gllug] services:
> >
> >>I nmapped my workstation just for a lark (as you do) and noticed that
> >>three services listening.  Sendmail shouldn't have been running so I
> >>just turned it off, but the other two, X11 and sunrpc I am not too sure
> >>about.  If I can turn them off, how, and if I shouldn't, how do I stop
> >>them listening for external connections?
> >>

> > sunrpc is used by remote machines wanting to use (mostly) nfs services
> > (shares, etc) on your machine.  If you do not intent do use nfs then you
> > can shut down the portmapper (which is the daemon in question).  X11 -
> > well, that's xdm (or gdm or kdm etc) listening for connections from
> > remote X clients.  Unless you want to be able to login remotely for X
> > sessions, you want to stop the daemon from listening for tcp connections.
> >  Precisely how you do that depends on which you have (of xdm, gdm etc).
>
> I have turned off portmap, that is sunrpc sorted.  I am not too sure
> what you mean by xdm and gdm though.  There are directories for both in
> the /etc/X11 directory and I have looked through the config files in
> both directories but can't find anything relating to listening on ports
> although I might have missed it.  Any ideas on finding this information
> out and then once I have done that, stopping it from listening?
>
> Many thanks
> Will.

For gdm, edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and change:
[xdmcp]
Enable=true

to:
[xdmcp]
Enable=false

and then restart gdm using "killall -HUP gdm" if it's started by init
(RedHat and similar boxes), Debian has a /etc/init.d/gdm init script
that allows you to stop/start it easier.

I can't remember the xdm one.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk