Distro version numbers - Was:; Re: [Gllug] RH 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade problems

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Wed Nov 21 21:23:13 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:15:16PM +0000, Colin Murphy wrote:
> > I am going to stay on 7.1 until 8.
> I take it you don't expect to see a 7.3, let alone a 7.9!

> Why do the version numbers seem to jump in this way?

My guess is that if one of the 'unwashed masses' (For want of a better
phrase.) is looking at three or more distributions of Linux and he sees
7.1, 7.3 and 8.1 he'll be more inclined to pick up the one with the higher
version number. I guess its a sales thing.

	Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk