[Gllug] Email Formats

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 17:48:48 UTC 2001

> > On Thursday, 22 Nov 2001, Paul Brazier wrote:
> > >Is there any real difference between <b>this<b> and *this*?
> >
> > Yes. The former is physical markup, the latter is logical markup.
>
> Ok then, what about <em>this</em> and *this*?
>
> Though I would argue that the distinction between physical and
> logical isn't so clear-cut in this case.
> Bold is used to emphasise text to indicate its importance. Although
> conventionally a thickening of the letters is used, you could use
> some other way of making <b> stand out which would still convey a
> similar logical meaning. Maybe you could think of <b> to mean "to
> be spoken boldly" of which "bold" text is one particular physical
> interpretation.
>
> Do html speakers for the blind emphasise text in <b> </b> markup in
> some way?

I don't wish to be rude, but its just this sort of circular rambling
that has put companies like Microsoft so far ahead of everyone else.
You have a choice. Live with your choices. If you choose to use a
console email client and gripe about all the html then that is YOUR
choice. The other 98% of email users are using e-mail clients that
render html email in a readable way and that is their choice.
Majority rules. Perhaps we should still be sending email using mail
and reading it in elm or something. Perhaps not. HTML mail isn't
going to go away. That is a certainty.

Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk, http://www.pauken.co.uk
"                                    "  -  Marcel Marceau

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk