[Gllug] isntalling iptables

Ivan Dimitrov admin at b4y.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 11:49:02 UTC 2001

Hi
just type from shell       rpm -q iptables

if you get any result then it is installed into your system already !
I spoke with redhat  sometime ago and they told me that by defalult
in 7.2 /the one i also use/ ipchaines are the firewall tool. This mean
that you have to disable ipchaines and enable iptables !!!
To to this from shell change to root   type   su and enter root passwd
then type ./usr/sbin/setup    and choose System Services !!! Disable
ipchains and enable
iptables from there / you can use ./sbin/chkconfig if you are command line
person/
  go to init 1 and then back to init 3 or 5 to restart all services or
start iptables from its
bin location in the install dir.Or restart the system / bad habit :) but it
won't hurt/

You don't have gui for iptables at this stage although i am sure there must
be something around if you
look hard enough !!! You have to write all your rules by hand !!!
Hope this help

Best of luck

ivan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk