[Gllug] M$ ties up local authorities

Davies Sue sue.davies at lbbd.gov.uk
Thu Nov 29 08:04:39 UTC 2001

That is scary.  Normally we can decide to have whatever is the most
appropriate system for the job.  There are corporate policies but they're
not totally inflexible.  At the moment we are looking to see what is the
best way forward for us and things have warmed up a little.  The cost of
replacing our current setup with a M$ solution caused a sharp intake of
breath all round.  We now have linux pilots running and a new Sun setup is
due to arrive soon for Oracle (currently on NT).  I know of two other
authorities close by who have gone down the linux route but keeping W95
desktops.  I hope this agreement won't change the current trend towards
looking at alternatives to M$.  It's great to see the look on your managers
face when you tell him you have an alternative that will do everything we
want, work on a regular basis and costs little or nothing - just like kids
at Xmas!

Regards

Suzanne Davies
Technical Support Officer
IS & T
Civic Centre, Wood Lane, Dagenham, Essex, RM10
Tel: 0208 227 2737