[Gllug] DNS

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Nov 13 14:05:40 UTC 2001

Paul Brazier(pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk)@Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 11:07:41AM -0000:
> I've been reading up on DNS but I don't understand this:
>
> In the DNS Howto it gives a sample "root.hints" file that lists the root
> nameservers. They are named A to M but listed in a strange order. I
> thought the order didn't matter, so wouldn't it make more sense to have
> them in alphabetical order, then it would be clearer to see if one was
> accidently missing.
>
> Or am I missing something here?
>
> When I resolve a domain name does it select one of these root
> nameservers at random which then sends the request on to a second level
> nameserver (if one exists for that domain)?

IIRC, its something like that, but it depends on whether or not you want
an authorative or non-authrative answer.  DNS operates in a tree like
structure, and at each node in the tree it can cache entries.  cached
entries will be used first, unless you want to go to the source and
check the real records, not the cached ones.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk