[Gllug] google down?

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Nov 13 01:11:46 UTC 2001

Dan Kolb(dankolb at ox.compsoc.net)@Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:09:22PM +0000:

> On Monday 12 Nov 2001 11:36 am, Jon Masters wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Dan Kolb wrote:
> > > Nah. JaNET's shafted. Again.
> > Indeed, all too common.
>
> Actually, to be technical, it's not JaNET itself that's shafted, but the link
> between it and Above.NET (Google traffice, Hotmail traffic, etc.). Other
> transatlantic connections are still fine.
>
> Probably the cable monkeys at Above.NET 'forgot' to replug some cables in. Or
> just kicked them out of their switches.
>
> > > Jon Masters: You're not on a JaNET connection, are you? Or are you still
> > > living in Nottingham Halls of Residence?
> > Thankfully no, I'd rather kill and eat myself whole (yes I know...) than
> > live in a hall of residence here with their network...apparently the
> > intercampus link died again this morning but luckily I don't care any
> > more :)
>
> Mmm.... I wouldn't be without my nice fast 'net access here :)
> That saying, OUCS are slowly restricting more traffic - within the last week,
> they blocked software like KaZaa (file-sharing). Admittedly, they did have a
> point - one of the Oxford colleges was recently sued for a large amount of
> money by Sony because one guy there shared 4 songs.
>
> For any wannabe lawyers here, apparently they were trying to sue under the US
> DMCA - I thought US laws couldn't be enforced here? Officially, that is
> (deCSS).

hmmm, when every damn country in the world signed up to the TRIPS
agreement, it pretty much set ( from what i can make out ) a precedent
for US laws being forced on the rest of the world.  not necessarily as
US laws, but an equivalent.  lets hope the EU manages to torpedo a few.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk