[Gllug] Office software

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Fri Nov 16 00:18:14 UTC 2001

I'm playing around with the latest version of OpenOffice and it seems
pretty good to me. Doesn't need java as far as I can see like Star Office
did, and doesn't have the annoying "everything enclosed in a take over your
desktop window" anymore. Under Mandrake 8.1 (not that I've tried with other
distributions yet) I was easily able to import loads of TTF fonts which
print out well also, and I've imported quite complex word2000 documents and
spreadsheets with no apparent loss of formatting, even when printed (CUPS).

I'm desperately trying to convert everyone in our organisation fully over
to Linux on the desktop, but admin / finance people (not to mention some of
the designers) are hard people to convert. It'll happen though, I shall
enforce the complete company-wide change when I feel it's not too cruel :)

Jake.

--On Thursday, November 15, 2001 18:53:44 +0100 Xander D Harkness

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk